Thursday, September 4, 2008

aN advantage

The elementary school where I work is located within a suburban residential community, so when I turn onto my school's street I pass several blocks of homes before I arrive at work. After many many days of driving the same stretch of inhabited road, one tends to notice things that stay consistent day after day. Last year there was a woman who walked down the street wearing a tiny purse-like backpack and carried one small weight in each hand, swinging them to the rhythm of her step. I always passed her on the same stretch of road and she was always walking in the same direction; I never saw her face.

This year, though only a few weeks old, a similar situation has arisen. Only instead of a person, my attention has now been drawn to a white work van, parked on the right side of the street in the same direction in which I am driving. The name of the company is on the back door of the van, along with company info, contact info, etc. But it's the name of the van that really irks me; A Advantage. Is this supposed to be the witty name of the company owner? Is that why the "n" is omitted? If so, why no period after the "a?" Who answers their phone and don't they feel weird saying "Thank you for calling a advantage?" If you know me then you know why day after day, I get a little more irritated with each passing of this van.

2 comments:

HCV-M said...

are you sure you dont wana take the lsat???

deirdre said...

Actually, I think I would enjoy law school, but I've already taken two career related standardized tests this year, so I'll pass.

But Elle Woods got a 179 on her LSAT and so will you!!!